All SAPA events, dates and presenters will be posted on this page once speakers and dates are confirmed.
SAPA’s 2017-18 program year wrapped up with Public Service Excellence Award ceremony on May 21st. Access the Facebook video of the ceremony and see the 2018-19 program schedule on the SAPA events page.
SAPA ANNUAL MEETING
The 2018 SAPA annual meeting took place on Wednesday, September 12, 2018. A SAPA Board meeting will followed. New members were introduced and a summary of the 2017-18 program year, including the Treasurer’s report was presented. A look forward into 2018-19 also took place. The meeting was held at Rockefeller College of Public Affairs and Policy which continues to be a valuable SAPA partner.
CANDID CONVERSATIONS (As speakers are confirmed, a date and information will appear below) All sessions are held in room 148 of the Alfred E. Smith State Office Building from 12:15 pm – 1:30 pm unless otherwise noted.
- October, 2018 (precise date to be determined), 12:15 pm – 1:30 pm – How is New York State securing the 2018 elections. The news has been filled with reports of election tampering through the use of social media and direct entry into state and local election systems. Successful breach of our electoral process is a threat to American democracy of which elections are a cornerstone. This Candid Conversation will focus on what New York is doing to ensure that elections in our state are fair and uncompromised.
- November 15, 2018, 12:15 pm – 1:30 pm – Debriefing the 2018 mid-term elections. We have invited noted New York political experts to assess the mid-term elections and what this could potentially mean for public policy issues and also the implications for the 2020 elections.
- December, 2018, (precise date to be determined) 12:15 pm – 1:30 pm, Refugee Crisis Management: The Challenges for State and Local Government Agencies – Separation of families, a border wall, detention of illegal refugees. All of this and more has been in the news for several months. But we hear little about the intersection of what is taking place on the national scene and the role of state and local government agencies. This conversation will center on how these sub-national levels of government are involved and the differences that they make.
- February, 2019, (precise date to be determined), Is affordable Universal Health Care possible in New York? – Suppose we could wipe the health care slate clean and start all over? What would such coverage look like and who would pay for it? These and other questions will be explored by presenters who have been trying for years to improve the current coverage that is available to New Yorkers. There has been legislation proposed that just can’t seem to see the light of day. Why not?
- April, 2019, (precise date to be determined), Financing NYS’s Infrastructure Needs – Crumbling bridges and roads, archaic airports, transportation systems that need repair, expansion and modernization, leaky water and sewer systems, and much, much more. How do we finance the many, many essential public works projects that impact the quality of life for New Yorkers? During this conversation we will explore this question led by a panel of experts.
- SAPA Public Service Excellence Award Ceremony, May 20, 2019 – Do you want to feel really good about government and all that it does? Then put this date on your calendar as we celebrate public service in New York with the SAPA Public Service Excellence Award Program to be held at Rockefeller College of Public Affairs and Policy in Albany.
2017-18 PROGRAM YEAR WRAPS UP WITH EXCELLENCE AWARD CEREMONY!
2018 PUBLIC SERVICE EXCELLENCE AWARDS PROGRAM
The 2018 Public Service Excellence Awards ceremony was held on May 21, 2018 at the Rockefeller College of Public Affairs and Policy in Albany. This was the seventh year that SAPA presented these awards and more than 100 people were in attendance. The ceremony was a wonderful opportunity to demonstrate our appreciation for a special group of outstanding public servants. A special thank you to University at Albany’s Rockefeller College of Public Affairs and Policy for co-sponsoring the Excellence Awards Event and the Albany Chapter of the Association of Government Accountants. For the first time, the State Academy posted a video of the event on the SAPA Facebook Page.
For a full list of SAPA Awards go to this link.
We welcome your participation in all of our SAPA events!